Saturday, December 17, 2016

Café Mikuni's: Mont-blanc

Finally got over to Café Mikuni's (カフェ・ミクニズ) for the first time. They open at 11:30, but around 11:50, they were full or almost full (seats 18) and the Chiboust Poire was sold-out, so I went with another recommended (according to a label on the card) cake, Mont-blanc (モンブラン, 500 yen), which shows how far I've warmed up to mont-blanc. It was definitely good, and I'll give them the benefit of the doubt and say it was excellent. It was fairly convention, in that it had a small meringue core, with cream around that and then a nicely smooth (Tokyo-produced Japanese) chestnut paste outisde. It may just be that I like mont-blanc in general now and this one was acceptable, but I'd like to go back sooner than later. Actually, it has to very soon, because they'll close (aside from 3 days of distributing ordered Christmas cakes), from Dec. 23 to Jan 31. Not sure if they'll have anything just before closing, when I can get there easily, but I'll try (with a couple back-ups in mind). I've got a couple days yet.

For running, I took my cake back home and then immediately went out for some grocery errands. Total run was 9 km, with two-thirds of that at 9 km/h and the rest at 10 km/h. My plan is to try an LSR (long slow run) tomorrow, not so much to build up my endurance but just because my goal isn't close. It's fortunate that most of the best cake shops are within easy reach, but eventually, I'll going to need to get further out to revisit others and hit ones I've heard of but haven't visited yet.


No comments:

Post a Comment