Wednesday, February 10, 2016

Wednesday: Glycine failure

Ran out to (P. la) Glycine, which I've gone to three times now, and I'm zero for three in finding them open. First, it was preparation for Christmas and then it was holiday after Christmas (neither of which were really shocking). Today, I went on a day when they are supposed to be open and their hours are posted as until 20:00, and yet they were closed at 19:27. Not the only shop like that, but it means that I'm taking them off the list of places for weekday evening visitations.

Good run though, so no worries. Did a moderately paced 6.4 km out in 37'12'', which is just short (at 5.81 min/km) of being fast. To balance that, my coming back time (more up hill, on average) was a slow 41'50'', not far (at 6.53 min/km) from being very slow. Some pretty steep (like, with warning signs on the road with the grade, as well as road texturing) hills, strong winds, cold, and I went through Omotesando, so a little crowded. Also, there were multiple stairs involved.

Third attempt at canelé with brioche forms, and at least I smothered them with enough butter so that they popped out, but I found pouring that I did a poor job of mixing up the batter and they seemed soft coming out, but not burnt, a first. The canelé seem good enough to make again. Even reducing the cooking time another 3 minutes to reduce burning, the center was not such a blob, although that might have to do with how long I let them cook before eating. I may try chilling the batter next time, since that would effect how it interacts with the butter coating, and for that matter, I might try chilling the buttered forms enough that the butter all solidifies (I refrigerate them before buttering, which speeds that up, so it wouldn't take long).

Also found out tonight that pecan pie tartlets are delicious straight from the freezer, which is dangerous knowledge.


No comments:

Post a Comment