Tuesday, February 9, 2016

Clover [Isetan] and 9.9 km

Got cake from (P.) Clover, at Isetan and did a run down to Aux Bacchanales in Akasaka, which closes really early (before I got there), although I was just trying to confirm their existence. I thought at least the café was supposed to be open, but apparently not. There were still staff, so they were open sometime today, I assume.

The run was a moderately paced 4.9 km in 29'35'' there and a slow 5.0 km in 31'48'' coming back.

The cake was the standard chocolate mousse type that attracts me and usually disappoints me (because I'm tired of chocolate mousse), but this was good. I think it was Chocolat Noel, but I'll have to check back at Isetan, which I don't always remember to do. It was definitely 509 yen and is a small seasonal cake, so it's not posted on their regular website (they have a large seasonal chocolate cake by this name, but it has strawberries). The cream layer inside was earl grey flavor, and there was a layer with orange peel, giving a good balance of flavors. It was not great, but it is a kind of cake that I'd like to enjoy, so I'm happy with it being definitely good and marking this place as "Worthy" on the map, although it clearly is serving the lower end of the Isetan basement market (other evidence is that they also sell at other department stories in the Shinjuku Station area, although that doesn't necessarily mean cake) and was not busy (unlike Sadaharu Aoki, which is doing a brisk Valentines Day business). Also in favor of this place, when I asked what was in the cake, not only could they immediately tell me, but they pulled out a schematic cross-section of the cake showing what the parts were. I'll go back just for more of that.


No comments:

Post a Comment