Tuesday, September 18, 2018

Cake-off: Bien-être's Framboisier over Jean-Paul Hévin's La Figue

On Monday, a national holiday, I had a first-round cake-off for the seasonal (I assume) La Figue by Jean-Paul Hévin. I pitted it against a standard from Bien-être, their Framboisier. These both held up as great cakes and I really enjoyed them (it's good to live in Tokyo and know where the great cake is). I'm giving this round to Framboisier because there are a lot of chocolate cakes that I like a lot (and even a lot of cakes from JPH similar to La Figue, in different seasons), but it is the only great cake I know that gets by on just raspberry as the main flavor (the closest is Perfum, which is raspberry and rose), though white chocolate is usually a good assist.

I ran for the cakes (one at a time and one-way, taking the train back from Bien-être, though that requires at least one train change and either a few extra stations or extra fee to change lines) and afterward went for a long ride checking shops for great cakes that have yet to have a first round (the only missing ones for second-round are ones I visit regularly anyway and Cuba from Les Cacao). First though, I revisited Bien-être to correct a mis-order (I'm resorting to reserving cake, so I hope it doesn't rain hard again Wednesday) and get my loyalty card stamped. Next I hit Bubó Barcelona to try their Croissant, which was definitely good as a fluffy buttery pastry, though you can always add butter to hot bread and get similar results, perhaps, so I'm not as interested in it as their more decadent creations. Could check two shops (the third was closed, as it always is on Monday) for great cakes without finding them, but had a few-hour ride around the city.

No comments:

Post a Comment