Monday, September 3, 2018

Jean-Paul Hévin: La Figue

Took two months this time, but the JPH line-up has changed, bringing back a few old favorites (like the one in yesterday's cake-off) and one new cake: La Figue. I was willing to take a couple tries, since my aim is only three pieces of cake for weekdays, so I wasn't devastated that La Figue (and maybe all the cakes new to the line-up) were sold out at Isetan. I did however change my plan to do a neighborhood run and instead tried Ginza Mitsukoshi, where I also had a back-up in F. Cassel. But I didn't need it: they were not sold out (not as busy a place as Isetan, so I was not surprised). Hope they still have the F. Cassel cakes tomorrow when I go, but I can try again Wednesday and Friday (long shot) if not. Ran both ways with no stops except to walk underground from the Ginza scramble intersection to Mitsukoshi. Coming back, I checked in at Origines Cacao (still none of the old great cakes, nor were there any at Dalloyau, neither surprising) and then surfaced and ran back.

La Figue is a very Jean-Paul Hévin cake: crunch on the bottom, thin layers of fig, main layer of chocolate mousse and a layer of solid chocolate on top. It was dependably great, getting the right balance of fig and chocolate for me (I don't need a lot of fruit).

No comments:

Post a Comment