Saturday, June 17, 2017

Cake-off: Sadaharu Aoki's "Valencia" over Paris S'éveille's "Fig Orange"

Had a medium run of 21 km visited various shops to see first hand what their June selection is. The main block (more than 12 km) was just getting to Limevert, for which I won't again demonstrated to myself that I shouldn't try to follow Google's route, because all the streets around Umegaoka are just too random. That was 9 km/h, although the remaining part seemed to be 10 km/h (guess the sports drink was more effective than I expected). Trying a back way between Ryoura and Bigarreaux, though you can't tell well from the picture, there is a reasonably large garden tucked inside this residential area. I went by a block-sized orchard as well (400 yen per 1 km, the sign said, I think, but not sure for what), but that was probably on the other (northwest) side of Ryoura.
Following south from Bigarreaux, the road briefly becomes quite nice, though that is not that surprising for the neighborhood, which is relative upscale. The run ended at Paris S'éveille, where I procured Fig Orange for my cake-off and then took the train to Isetan to get Valencia from Sadaharu Aoki. The Fig Orange is a pretty solid cake, so it probably could have survived further running, but as I've complained before, I've been over doing it this week, so I stuck to the plan of not running that part. Tomorrow I may do 42 km by bicycle, without buying cake to prepare for the next cake-off (as early as Tuesday). 
Unfortunately, I was not feeling the greatness of the Fig Orange. It's heavy on the fig, which is fine in general, and just plain heavy, which I guess I was just not as into as the previous time. The Valencia is the orange version of their standard layered cake with cream, chocolate, nuts, ..., and the formula works and is still great, as far as I can tell, so they take this match-up.

No comments:

Post a Comment