Thursday, June 1, 2017

Le Pont des Amis: Chocolat d'Or

Took the afternoon off and tried to do a cake-off, but Aigre-Douce was sold out of the target cake, so I had to go with plan B, which was to go north and visit Le Pont des Amis for the first time. A lot of the run was along Yamanote, which
is nice, at least that part. I kept a 9 km/h pace both ways, which is my goal for long distance and good practice for Saturday. It 21+ km total.

The cake was the Chocolat d'Or (<500 yen). This is a chocolate mouse cake with yuzu gelatin. I think it would have better if I had waited for it to warm up more, but I'm not sure what's optimum for mousse, just it seemed like that would take some of the gumminess from the coating, but the main problem ultimately was the flavor of the chocolate wore out its welcome. Given the price, I aspect this might have to do with the quality of the ingredients. (Chocolate cake that uses expensive chocolate will at least sometimes name the cake off the brand of chocolate.) It was still definitely okay, but saddly I can't say that it was as good as a good convenience store doughnut. I've not had much luck with these northern shops, and now I'm wishing for better options than a new store as part of my Saturday plan, but that's a long run and the important point is to have places to stop and rest for a while, so I'll probably still with my original plan.

No comments:

Post a Comment