Sunday, August 21, 2016

Morning: walking to Paris S'éveille for Peche Verveine and Gâteau Basque

Walked to Paris S'éveille. I figured I could do the round trip at 5 km/h or one-way at 6 km/h, but settled for 1.5 of the way at 5.5 km/h (16 km total), which puts me exactly at my target budget for walking, but I'll need to rest tomorrow, which I should anyway after a long day today.

At Paris S'éveille, I got a Gâteau Basque for 450 yen, which I ate almost immediately, and a Peche Verveine (?) for 600 yen, which I took by train to Shibuya (where you have to switch lines) and then walked from there home (well, the 100 yen food shop first).

The Gâteau Basque, which is not fresh cake, so I treat it as a pastry, was good but nothing special. This one was just pastry cream as filling (which is custard) rather than fruit.



The peach doom didn't travel well. I really should have gotten the Fondant (really: I need some excuse to go back and get the Fondant). It's sort of like somewhat gelatinized peach sauce on top of, I'm not sure what, a smaller cream dome on a thin spongy cake base. It was good, but I'd rather have good peach jam on an English muffin.


So this bumps Paris S'éveille from "Great" = "Must try every one" status, leaving just four great shops: Jean Paul Hevin, which has the all-chocolate thing going for it, as well as lots of great cakes, Frédéric Cassel, which limits its variations, Henri le Roux, which has only four cakes, only one of which is definitively a cake (the other three are a couple pie-type pastries and a mousse), and Dalloyau, which is just barely hanging in there which its variations as I sample the last least-promising cakes. I've already calculated what the 9 semi-great shops from among the "Excellent" ones are, but I'll continue filling out the third cake from each of "Excellent?" category shops before I make the split. I've got about 5 more of those to visit.

Tried a picture of the shop and one of a temple, neither of which I was happy with. Frankly, there's so much glare, I can barely tell what I'm taking of picture with when I use my phone. Might upgrade to a smart phone, which might involve a better camera, but I should probably just take more shots to sort through and think harder about the framing and lighting (I least thought enough to avoid a worse picture in each case).

No comments:

Post a Comment