Sunday, July 3, 2016

Chocolate Chic [Closed shop]]: Tarte aux Figues

Only 3 km today, 2 min running/1 min walking, but given the heat and the closeness of the shop, it was enough. I've still got 7 km more for Monday and Tuesday, which is about right. No problems with my left leg. I'm thinking (since Friday at work) that my computer use is what's hurting my left arm (enough to affect running), so I've been giving it more support and writing less.

I got the Tarte aux Figues (I think: one problem with trying to figure out the French name from phonetic Japanese is the silent letters and my shallow knowledge of French) for 561. The tart base was okay, but the figs were tougher than I expected and all I could taste was cinnamon. It was only okay, so I'm taking them off my list of potentially excellent shops. Neither of the ones I liked before were in the shop now, although that might be more of a matter of season than that they had special ones at Isetan.

Worked on my praliné cake. Made the cake biscuit again, which came out too thin, so I had a lot of burnt part to throw away (well, break off and eat), thawed the last, pretty bad attempt at the creme brulée praliné buttercream (got some crystals in it, but the smooth part tastes really good), and made some caramel-favored syrup (by caramelizing sugar, adding boiling water, and then adding an equal part of what I think the recipe calls 30 deg syrup, which just means sugar fully dissolved in water at 4:3). The actually recipe uses the syrup on various layers with different fillings, but I just put it on a side by itself and alternated with cake with the buttercream. Very good (after chilling, so the buttercream didn't just squish out). Still three more fillings to work on, as well as getting the actually biscuit consistent and the buttercream smooth.

No comments:

Post a Comment