Friday, July 15, 2016

Frédéric Cassel: Breteuil

Left hand a little better, but not ready to use typing. According to Wikipedia, 80% of tendinosis cases fully heal within 1 year, so looking forward to that.

In that vein, I may be rushing the left leg tendon: felt a little funny Thursday, when I did ~1.6 km @ 8 km/h (easier to write than 1 km time range I actually calculate). Did 6 km @ 8 km/h Friday night for cake (more below), and still seemed iffy but maybe okay for that speed (which is like a fastish walk). But trying more Saturday, I gave up at P. Shima (who failed to have the advertised bostock) and quickly gave up even trying to walk to my ultimate cake destination, instead just walking home. Wasn't really painful, but there was a signal there, so I'm going to listen to it. Maybe walk some distance tomorrow, but no running at any speed for now.

The cake from Frédéric Cassel Friday night was the Breteuil (presumably) for the usual 756 yen. It's a pistachio dome. Very creamy, reminding me of pistachio ice cream without being all cold and wet. Not actually my favorite flavor, but was quickly sure that it was excellent and ultimately decided that I was really impressed, in the sense that I'd love to know how to make it myself, so I'm calling this my fifth great cake from this shop. The pistachio layer is about 1 cm thick and isn't soft or gelatinous, so maybe the cream is pistachio butter; I just don't enough about cake. The bottom is a nutty biscuit, and there are nut pieces/cluster above that (but not an annoying anchor-nugget. Also, in the center is a brownish cream fillig, which was not strong enough to figure out, although a weak chocolate or caramel Bavarian cream would make sense.


If I get cake today, it will be from Isetan, but I've got my own baking plans to combine most of the parts for praline opera cake (the most complicated filling I'll leave out until next time).



No comments:

Post a Comment