Tuesday, November 17, 2015

Local tour 9 to 10 km: 2000 (Deux Mille) Feuilles from Pierre Hermé

Bought my cake at Isetan first, from Pierre Hermé: 2000 Feuilles for 864 yen. It was a praline mille-feuillles (or apparently a double mille-feuilles). The online description is "Flaky caramelized puff pastry crust, crispy praliné with Piedmont hazelnuts, and praliné mousseline cream", which is as much ore more than you need to know except how it was.

For the run, I meant to check out the state of the Ginkgo trees along the south lane to Aoyama Street, but forgot. Even Tuesday night in light rain, there was a long line for the new Shake Shack, I think it is called. Doesn't sound like something I would need, but must be a big deal and it, their line, running, and the darkness distracted me.

Continued the tour to Takagi (still there), Louange Tokyo, which is in a dead-end alley that does not look like it should have anything besides condo entrances. Actually it is a private club as well as a cake shop and had the most high-end entry way I've seen on a patisserie, but it still looked like I could just walk in from jogging if I wanted (but not sit down on the upholstered chairs). There was a customer, so apparently other people are able to find it in a cul-de-sac (I think) off a street, off a short street, off the main street that runs in front of Roppongi Hills.

Continued on to go past Tokyo Midtown (stopping briefly to use the facilities) and swung by Neues, the German cafe I go for cake, which had the sign out saying that they were open. 

Went on to Akasaka and on down to the Niku ("Meat") no Hanamasa to get some roasted peanut pieces for making peanut butter and confirmed that I can get cheese there okay (I've been to a branch too small to have the 700 gram blocks, but I need a new source now that the one on my main street closed). Major difference from my old one: this one was playing French pop classics, whereas my old one played 80's alt/college pop. Different neighborhood.

Doubled back to confirm that I could find Del'Immo without checking the map (but I still need to check on how to spell it). 

Finally, went to Lawson 100 for snacks, crackers, and yogurt. I walked from there.

Which bring me back to the cake: praline (deux) mille-feuille: every part of it was great. It's expensive, of course, but it is a good-sized piece of cake. Probably just as well that there was not more of it, because I could have kept on eating (actually I did keep on eating, because I could not resist my freshly made peanut butter). 


No comments:

Post a Comment