Saturday, May 28, 2016

Paris S'éveille: Giverny

It's the weekend, so I went to Jiyugaoka by bicycle, doing some reconnaissance along the way.

Not part of the plan, but I noticed Roulé (by 1904), so I stopped and verified through the window that they have at least a couple cakes besides roll cake.

Failed to find the pastry shop in the Cerulean Tower Tokyu: it's not shown on the floor map, but I've now learned what restaurant it is next to according to the website. 

Failed to find Patisserie de la Famille in Sangenjaya (from Sweet Sonobe), but it seems to have morphed into Patisserie Susucrier, which was advertising birthday cakes prominently; I'll pass till I hear something good about it. 

Failed to find Patisserie Octobre, but only because I was looking at the Plaisir location, so now I know Plaisir has closed up [or perhaps not], although the name is still used for activities at Shinjuku Isetan's New York Week now. 

I had a hard time figuring out a good way to get from there to Paris S'éveille and kept going the wrong way. Finally got to the target Paris S'éveille and got the Giverny for 620 yen, this time take-out, so I could take a picture. This is pistachio and raspberries, which may sound familiar from earlier in the week, but this cake was definitely better than okay. It was at least excellent and I'm going to go with great, although that may just be by comparison. It's pistachio cream, raspberry, bavarian cream, on a pistachio biscuit on top of a lime-flavored chocolate crunch bottom. Quite satisfying in terms of flavor and sweetness.

Escaped without dropping more money at Cuoca, because I was just there and haven't had a chance to try out the recipe I bought the hazelnut powder for (or the carob powder I bought a while back).

No comments:

Post a Comment