Wednesday, April 24, 2019

Kouhii Chakan Shuu Gâteaux Naturels Shuu: Mont-blanc

This week, I'm trying to get a 7th anniversary cake from the Hikarie Shinqs Sadaharu Aoki, with not a lot of hope, at least during the week (and I'm busy over the Golden Week holiday, but I could get over there). Monday, I walked and ran a little (probably 1.5 km total running) and they were sold out. I went to the top-priority shop for cake on the neighborhood map, but they were renting out their space to promote beer (not the first time for that sort of thing), so I finally got to the new counter in the basement of Gyre, Dandelion Chocolate, a beans to bar place that I had seen went I last (perhaps) went out to the main shop of P. Clair de Lune, though they were closed. Besides chocolate bars, the biggest thing they sell are macarons. They have "cake", but its less than bite-sized. The macarons are several bites-size, though, bigger than average. I got the Anamalai, India one, which I was told was fruity chocolate, versus sort of standard and white chocolate, as the other options. It had the perfect texture, in my opinion and was a little fruity, as chocolate. It was great, certainly as satisfying as most cakes, so I was not disappointed. I don't have plan for buying macarons, so I don't know when I'll get back, but it will be a good backup, other than they are not open that late. The running, as it turned out, was premature. My feet hurt a lot the next day (actually both, which was disturbing, though the problem one lingered more), other it subsided fairly quickly. I'll still to other forms of exercise probably for the next few weeks and start smaller with running next time I try.

My second try, on Tuesday, was by bicycle. It was my first time to use the bicycle parking, which was pretty empty, so useful for visiting that area, if I can finish within 2 hours. No cake, so I walked around to Kouhii Chakan Shuu Gâteaux Naturels Shuu and got the Mont-blanc. I would have eaten in, but the tobacco smell suggested that would not be a good idea (they have separate seating for smoking, but apparently not separated enough). This was way too soft for a bicycle ride, so it collapsed, but was still edible. There was not much more to it than a pile of whipped cream under chestnut paste with some chestnut pieces inside, like many other mont-blanc. Nothing special, but it qualifies as good. Still, disappointing as a new place that might secretly have had great cakes.

The third try (Wednesday), was just walking. No cake again at Sadaharu Aoki, so I walked back first to What a Tart! where they did not have any tarts left (but I could see the crumbs). They did have some little cake squares that reminded me of something I bought at Doutor once. I choose the Chocolate Orange. It was good, as dense (like pound cake, but with icing) cake goes, but not fresh cake and not worth going back for. In this batch, only Dandelion Chocolate has come through. I should mention that Fabrice Gillotte has, at least temporarily, closed their Aoyama shop as of March.

No comments:

Post a Comment