Tuesday, May 30, 2017

Paris S'éveille: Fondant Chocolat

Yesterday, I had to work late, so I did a cake-shop-less training run. This time, it was an actual training routine, not just a person challenge: I ran slow (9 km/h) about 1.5 km then about as fast as I could for 1 km (>13.5 km/h), then walked for about 3 minutes and ran as fast as I could again for 1 km (just short of 13.0 km/h). Then, without a break, I jogged at the slow speed again for about 7.5 km. This is supposed to train the body to burn fat more efficiently, which is important for long-distance running because you'll run out of stored sugar if your body can't burn fat at your running speed (it can't generally burn fat when you run too fast, but what counts as too fast depends on training). It was a good run: I did the speed part at the Gaien course and then sort of followed the green stop signals, intending to do a lap around Akasaka Palace but instead doing a lap around Aoyama Cemetery, which is nice on the east side, not so much on the south side, and then just sort of isolated on the west side. As a substitute for fresh cake, I made canelé again. Now that I have the recipe right for my molds and oven, I varied it by using brown sugar (and accidentally a little too much rum), but I think I should stick with regular granular sugar, though it does not matter much except for the color. My next variation will be to lower the temperature and cook them longer, as the middle is very soft, which I like, but I'd like to see what my other options are.

Today, I could leave work on time, so I could go down to Paris S'éveille as planned (Monday's planned shop is closed today, so I'm shifting that to Wednesday, if nothing comes up). I couldn't speed through Omotesando so well this time, though I did make one difficult light, as I was still tired. But I could do the about 11 km each-way run at 10 km/h down and 9 km/h back without pushing too hard in general, so it was okay. I worked on a smoother pace so I don't wear out my hip from the impact on long runs, like I did in my recent failed 50 km attempt. I chose Fondant Chocolat (450 yen), which borders on being a baked good/pastry, but I know it's good and the unblogged "cake" alternative was a fruit tart that I'm not optimistic about (if/when I eventually get it, I should eat in or at least eat it in the neighboring park area, as it definitely doesn't look like it would travel well). I ran it home and microwaved it 20 seconds, as recommended. The inside is essentially thick chocolate sauce/cream, with only a relatively thin outside baked layer. It is great and I would not be afraid to pair it against other great chocolate cakes.




No comments:

Post a Comment