Saturday, January 16, 2016

Viron: Bonaparte (no running)

So, no running for a week and no cake shops for almost that long: cake without running, at least alone, feels like cheating, although life without cake is not great, so I'll console myself with some cake more often.

My self-diagnosis is shin splints. Saw a Japanese doctor today, who asked some question that seemed to be to rule out a stress fracture (it did not seem sudden and I did not hear a sound, although the pain is more localized than I like, but with no swelling) and circulation-related problems. Guess I'll just have to rest it and see what happens (he prescribed 2 weeks of drugs). In the meantime, I've been doing my indoor workout every day and added squats, which I can feel afterward, and are giving me cramps in bed, if I'm not careful.

For cake, I visited Viron again, the Marunouchi one, after visiting Cuoca, which I decided needed to be on the map, at least the Mitsukoshi one. The latter was because I had bought a 7.5 cm tart form there last week and tried it for pecan pie tarts, and it was great, so I bought 7 more, since 8 is about right for a batch, in terms of the crust: my recipe makes 250 g, and 30 g worked fine for one.

The cake is Bonaparte for 756 yen. It is a dense chocolate cake, so it was okay in the bike basket for 6 km. It's prune in chocolate ganache with, I think, brandy (I didn't read that far on the card in the shop, but I tasted alcohol and someone posted that it has "Napoleon" in it, which is a grade of cognac. The cake was great (for a chocolate lover who hasn't had store-bought cake for almost a week), so I'll need to get back there again soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment