Monday, August 12, 2019

Lenôtre, Tour Eiffle Voluté

Monday, which is a holiday, I changed my plan when I found my target shop is closed for a week of summer holiday. My next choice for a holiday-only shop also has their holiday this week, so I stopped searching and went with my top overall priority of available places, which is Lenôtre, both as a cake-off winner and as a shop listed as quite fine that is obviously going to need to be in at least the quite excellent category, but hasn't had that many cakes yet. As a department store counter, it was safe to assume that they would be available. Not sure what the closure schedule is, but probably just a Tuesday or two. Since I want to go back tomorrow for FC, I better confirm when those are. I went with their other most cake-like chocolate cake, which is the Tour Eiffle Voluté. This is their chocolate and caramel cake. I should mention that I went by bicycle, which seemed like a good idea, given the heat, but if I had known it was going to rain, I might have chosen running.

After bring back the cake, I went out by bicycle for an hour or so to confirm some shops and to see whether Vincennes was closed for holidays or had a schedule posted, neither of which is true, so I might visit Wednesday. I still need to check their regular hours.

Tour Eiffle Voluté was definitely good and the cake perhaps was the same quality as the others, but I felt like the added caramel texture and sweetness was muting the chocolate rather than harmonizing with it, so I prefer their other cakes. There are still other cakes to try, so I'll probably be back there next week.

For running, I tried two loops in the evening: the Jinguumae central loop counterclockwise and the Daikanyama-chou--Ebisunishi--Hachiyama-chou--Nanpeidai-chou--Sakuragaoka-chou--Sarugaku-chou--Shibuya--Uguisudani-chou loop, which are not as close to each other as would be convenient. It took about 2 hours of actual running over 14+ cycles of walking:running 1:8, so 14 dashes. The Jinguumae central loop was no problem, since it was just a minor change and the basic loop is not so hard or long. I hit the target loop, but now I can't remember why I split off one tiny loop, so I'm merging it back in and will have to try again. Currently, this is the largest loop I'm trying to confirm memorization of, at 9.75 km. Also, I've added half a dozen new sites (there are a lot of shops in this neighborhood), though none requires a movement of the course.

No comments:

Post a Comment