Wednesday, August 28, 2019

Fiorentina Pastry Boutique, Peach Shortcake

Decided that I didn't want to run to Ginza again (like Tuesday) and instead ran to Roppongi Hills again (like the previous few days). It's not such a far run but I did do four 1-min dashes on the way and ran most of the way back. I went to visit Fiorentina Pastry Boutique at Roppongi Hills, which is the pastry shop for Grand Hyatt Tokyo. My justification was that FC was 2 cakes down out of 48, whereas one exceptional shop was 2 cakes down out of 6, so they should be the priority, but the latter was below Fiorentina, so first I had to resolve where Fiorentina belonged. Unfortunately, though Fiorentina are open fairly late, they don't have a big selection late, so my choices for a fifth cake were between three kinds of shortcakes and a couple verrines, so I went with a shortcake. I chose a slight upgrade from the basic model and got the Peach Shortcake. There's also a high-end shortcake for more than double again the price, but I would want to share that. By virtue of a slight detour on the way back, I completed the new Nishi-Azabu northeast loop clockwise, so I should be able when I finished it off with the larger loops on the other side of the main street that I've been working on, hopefully Friday.

The shortcake was typical in structure, but peach was an excellent choice and I have to admit that it was excellent, which I was not expecting, given my preference for heavy cakes. This balance of cake, cream, and fruit was much more to my liking than last night's, but still it was the fruit as central. This puts this shop squarely above at least one exceptional shop with the same number of cakes, so it gets moved up and Bubó Barcelona gets moved down to the quite fine group, perhaps never to be visited again for cake, though it's solidly a fine shop. Still at least two more challengers from the quite fine group to go before these two groups are properly separated, though now that Lenôtre is settled, I can visit a completely new shop. Before that, I think I'll work on the two-cake quite fine shops tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment