Thursday, August 23, 2018

Il Pleut sur la Seine, Chou à la Crème

Typhoon coming again, so there should be strong winds tonight and tomorrow, but it's crossing Japan on the west side, so should not be too bad in Tokyo away from the sea, rivers, mountains, and lowlands. Did a run out to Sarugakucho to visit Il Pleut sur la Seine, the most recent cake-off winner. Maybe because they had been closed a few days, the selection of cakes was pretty weak. The best I could do was a Chou à la Crème. Once in a while these are special, but this one was pretty much standard, which is what I would expect from this shop. That works for me with their saint-marc, but not for this. Still, it was good. It's smallish, but with a fairly complete but thin shell. The filling is whipped cream and custard cream, sort of lightly mixed, but thankfully no fruit. The only other new fresh "cake" was a banana version; I think I'll pass on that as long as there are other options.

Didn't say much about this week's running in the last post. Monday, I just went down to Tokyo Midtown, so just around 40 minutes of running, but I tried to do a good bit of it fast. As a result, I had a lot of foot pain Tuesday, which seems to be the routine. It didn't hurt so much by the time I ran again in the evening, but was tough every time I stood up from sitting at a desk for long. Did a lot of stretches through the day for my heel. So didn't run that fast Tuesday but was my more usual 60+ minutes (or 70+, I had to go to my back up). Wednesday, it was back to being a pretty hot run, as was Thursday. Wednesday I had already eaten my cake, so I could semi-sprint the last 400 m and actual build some muscle. Thursday, I was carrying cake and it was too hot to do that. Both days, I was tempted to walk home, but told myself that I could run as slowly as I wanted to, which worked. I'm actually more comfortable running and it's easier in a way to just fall forward and keep catching yourself running than walking. Once I get moving coming back, even on the hills, I'm okay plodding along. I'm missing the few cools days we had last week, though. It's going to be hot and humid after the typhoon.

No comments:

Post a Comment