Tuesday, April 14, 2020

Cake-off: En Vedette's Rocher over Pierre Gagnaire's Mousse au Chocolat et Yuzu

Saturday late afternoon, I went out intending to see if any shops on the Jinguumae--Kita-Aoyama loop that I wanted to hit were open (none were), but before I got that far, I ran into a new shop in Naitou-machi,
'A'ala Herbalbar Yotsuya, that was selling baked goods through a plastic screen, so I got what they were calling a Strawberry Scone, or at least I'm interpreting what they showed me as saying that. It's not particularly scone-shaped, but the structure is basically correct, except it's also got frosting, so it's pretty far from a scone. It was good, though, and I wish them luck. It means I have to expand my Naitou-machi loop to include them, but it doesn't effect the total distance of the clump much. It's on the way to lots of places, so I just have to remember to do it when I'm going or coming back from that direction.

I only ran about half of a long afternoon, walking the rest, as I was adding pictures for mostly convenience stores, coffee shops, and drug stores that to the running map. I started with Harajuku, went down to Shibuya Station and then worked back up Aoyama-doori until Aoyama 1-choume.

The main event of the day, and the reason I visited two shops, besides wanting new cakes from both, was for a cake-off between two recently discovered cakes that won their first rounds: Pierre Gagnaire's Mousse au Chocolat et Yuzu and En Vedette's Rocher. Even though one was mousse, I found that the cooler was too much for it, so I set both aside at halfway through and gave them another 5 minutes before I finished, which made both just right. Still both great cakes, but the Rocher has more flavors textures going on, so it gets the win, even though the chocolate mousse is a great presentation and I don't get tired of it (which is good, because I plan a 3rd round with it soon).

No comments:

Post a Comment