Saturday, January 25, 2020

Cake-off: Jean-Paul Hévin's Tonka over Viron's Mille-feuille

This week, I had a lot of working late, so no cake Wednesday to Friday. I managed to bicycle to Ginza Mitsukoshi before closing Wednesday and Thursday, but had a couple cakes in particular in mind that were not there. Friday, I didn't even try (I might have gotten there just before closing, which wouldn't be that useful on a Friday), but went to Isetan and confirmed that PH has a great cake in the line-up that has never had a cake-off (but I don't have an opponent for it right now) and the strawberry tart at SA is the one I've already had (which was excellent). Think I did one workout with weights one of those days, though I can't remember the details. Friday, I finished off confirming the updated Daikyou-chou--Shinanomachi loop and also confirmed the updated Shinjuku Gyouen clump (3 loops, 4.909 km) and definitely did a non-weights indoor workout.

Saturday, I went to Ginza Mitsukoshi again for cake-off materials, but I also confirmed that they had one of the cakes had been looking for but not the other one. I later found that Viron has a new cake, so I still have a backup for next time I go out there looking for new cakes, which might be tomorrow (I haven't decided where I want to go, and a new errand has come up). My main target for the cake-off was Tonka, which is one of their new cakes, from Jean-Paul Hévin for a fourth-round cake-off. They are currently two wins to one loss, so I matched them with the highest priority cake in that bracket, Viron's Mille-feuille. On the way back, I got a matcha chocolate bar from a new site on my Souga Gakkai clump route, though on the opposite end from the Souga Gakkai campus, near Yotsuya station, at the San Paolino shop, which is mostly sweets. I am saving it for later, to share, so I'll have to update this. While I was there, I noticed a castella place that should be on the Yotsuya north loop, so I revised the loop and will have to do confirmation runs another day.

Before cake, I went out again to try to confirm the Akasaka--Azabudai--Roppongi--Toranomon loop, as next in priority after the Daita-... loop, which I'll get back to another time. I knew the planned route fine, but the construction in Azabu 1 has expanded to the point that streets have disappeared, as well as a park and possibly a temple that was on my route, but the latter might have an entrance on the other side and still be there, though I didn't find one last time I looked. Anyway, I need to figure out a new route and try again. Actually, I'm not sure how the old loop was valid, unless there was an entrance to the Reiyukai Shakaden Temple on the old route that I can't remember now. On the loop, I stopped at the Pierre Gagnaire shop and got a Croissant d'Almonde. I don't know why I chose that one, since it's not my favorite type, but it always catches my eye. It was good but standard, which is too sugary even for me, but I won't let that put me off retrying other pastries from there. I also found another Japanese style sweets shop that I'll add as a site on the map, but there's still a lot of shops ahead of it, and cake and pastries are my priority.

I was pretty happy with cake-off this time, as expected. It was hard to choose, but Tonka is a great example of why I like JPH's cakes, and I've giving it the win. In the previous round for Viron's Mille-feuille, I had my doubts about it as a great cake, but even though it lost this time, I'm satisfied with it as on the list: it lacks subtly, but it seems to be a perfect classic mille-feuille, which I haven't had anywhere else and am happy to be able to eat.

No comments:

Post a Comment