Monday, February 11, 2019

Cake-off: Jean-Paul Hévin's Longchamp Chocolat over Yu Sasage's Fondant Chocolat (aux Framboises)

So I decided that Yu Sasage's current Fondant Chocolat is close enough to what I previously labeled as Fondant Chocolat aux Framboises (let's pretend I spelled it correctly). The store card said "aux Rouges" or "aux Fruits Rouges" (I forget, and it was phonetic), but the Facebook post about it just says Fondant Chocolat, though the fondant itself is chocolate and raspberries, even if the decoration includes a couple other berries. I should note, I didn't ask whether I was supposed to microwave it with or without removing the decoration first, to make it fondant ("melted"), though I don't actually need it to be in the fondant state and wouldn't have anyway. I've been looking for this as previously rated as a great cake and it's only available until the 14th, so even though I just found a different perhaps great cake from Yu Sasage, I went with the old one as a match to Jean-Paul Hévin's Longchamp Chocolat. I'll need another great cake now against the new Yu Sasage, which will at least stay in the line-up through to the beginning of March, so it's not impossible. My priority is the JPH cake, of course.

Put two kinds of cream and a bandage on my sore toe and was also very conscience of putting the weight on the other side of the food, which is where it should be centered anyway, I think. No problem running today. I went out around 8:15 and was running on and off until 11:00 (and again part way from Isetan to home). Took several pictures of new (to being included) food places that I'm adding to nearby neighborhood course loops, which required going 90 degrees from the direct path to Yu Sasage. That course turns back, so I didn't have to retrace myself, but it must have added a few kilometers to a longish run. When I left the old loops, I picked up a couple sites that I hope to eventual need for loops further out, a park, a green space, and the above shrine.

The cake-off was fairly predictable. The Fondant Chocolat was definitely excellent, but I've had more experience now, including with fondant, and am harder to impress the second time around, so this one will get demoted to semi-great, but it's still my favorite fruity fondant chocolat (not sure I know any straight chocolate ones that are great, but there's still at least one more hanging on for the third round of cake-offs to be tested). Also, Longchamp Chocolat is dark chocolate, nuts, and almond meringue in one of my favorite forms of cake, made by my favorite shop, so it's tough to beat.

In the afternoon, I went hunting for discount mass-produced chocolate (Look 3 is my favorite now) by bicycle. It took three shops to find it, but I went to stop by Les Cacao just to see whether Cuba had turned up (no, though it would only matter if another first-round loser still on the great list becomes available), so I just made finding the chocolate part of that quest. It was a long ride, as I stopped by Shin-marunouchi Building also, where I also didn't find the cake I was looking for at 14 Juillet, though I should check again when Valentines day is over, as they had several cakes that were obviously seasonal.

No comments:

Post a Comment