Wednesday, April 11, 2018

Sadaharu Aoki: Roule Chocolat

It was time to bring my superb cake shops up to 19 fresh cakes (not counting ones from cake-off wins), which meant a visit to Sadaharu Aoki (since the only other one not already at that level is Paris S'éveille, which I should probably do on the weekend to have a reliable selection). Unfortunately, I missed the cherry éclair (I assumed the season is finished, since the sakura certainly are done blooming); what they did have was (and I'm not sure of the spelling French spelling except from back translating) Roule Chocolat. I didn't have high expectations for any roll cake, which is just one level of sophistication above sheet cake, but not in a direction that improves the taste (I'd rather most frosting than a lot of whipped cream filling).

For running, as planned, I went down to Shibuya station to practice the loop that starts there. It's a mess there from construction, which has moved to the pedestrian bridges, were are complex anyway, so all my distances for my kilometer markers are probably off down there. I didn't even try to remember the ones that I've marked so far, I just focused on the new course and verifying that it was viable. It was, though I'm not thrilled about all parts of it and it's going to require some more practice, even without memorizing the kilometer markers, so It's going to be a while, and the bridges around Shibuya Station might have changed by then. In related news, one of the more eastern bridges over Aoyama Doori have been repaid for the first time since I opened the course, so I can bypass Harujuku next time I want to get do parts more east.

Unfortunately, Sadaharu Aoki's roll cake did not convince me that this form of cake is a more excuse for call. The problem is it's soft sponge combined with flavored whipped cream (both chocolate in this case), just too much soft boring parts for me. I'm not sure what sponge cakes is good for, but whipped cream at least is good on something with a firmer texture. Still, good for what it is.

No comments:

Post a Comment