Sunday, November 15, 2020

Cake-off: Éclat des Jours's Baked Cheesecake over Toshi Yoroizuka's Saint Marc

Tried to do a proper long run before Saturday's cake-off, which I did. This was a fourth-round cake-off between the last two available three-time winners. First I ran to Éclat des Jours to get their Baked Cheesecake. Then I mostly ran back to get Toshi Yoroizuka's returned Saint Marc from the Kyoubashi shop. Despite the three wins, I wasn't able to get into the Saint Marc for some reason. I'd think I was off chocolate, but that doesn't seem to be the case generally. It's possible that the recipe changed, but I won't think so. This is only it's first loss, so should get to again next year. If I can, I'll do that early, before it disappears again. No problem with the cheesecake which while not dramatically superior remains by best guess for best cheesecake in Tokyo; every time it wins, I'm kind of surprised, and yet it keeps winning. If it's not broke... 


As implied, recently I speculated that not doing enough exercise before eating lunch and then doing a cake-off might have interfered with my enjoyment, which still seems reasonable. In this case, I ran three times the distance, but I did get a snack from Éclat des Jours that might have nullified this, Chapeau. I got this as a pastry, although the shop person referred to is as "pan", so I was a little afraid about the inside, but this is plenty decadent and definitely more than one person should eat by themselves (not that the price hides this). Can't wait until I can get it again, but not on a cake-off day and maybe I'll try to get it home first.


No comments:

Post a Comment