Sunday, July 12, 2020

Cake-off: Frédéric Cassel's Choux Vanille over Lenôtre's Feuille d'Automne

I got my cakes out of the order that I ate them, but figure I should report in order. So there was running to get the first cake bought, down to Shibuya Sta. and Shibuya Scramble Square, where I got a cake from En Vedette to confirm their promotion, and then tried to get a new cake from BE, but whereas there were two about a week ago, they've regressed back to the basics (or the season for the other two cakes ended), and I got nothing. At that pointed, I needed to get the first cake home, so I used the train, but since the route had me almost to Ginza anyway, I decided to continue there and get all my other cakes for the day rather than go home, run all the way back to Ginza and take the train again anyway. It was there that I got Frédéric Cassel's Choux Vanille and Lenôtre's Feuille d'Automne, which I have both down for as first sample in July (two and one year ago), for a fourth-round cake-off between two-time winners. These are both clearly great cakes, and I could have them again next week, no problem, so it's a shame that under the current system I'll have to wait a year. Anyway, no knockouts, so I have to make a judgement and I'll decide similarly to what I have in the past: the Feuille d'Automne suits my sweet tooth and has great texture, but the simply Choux Vanille is the only great Choux I know, and manages it will a simple form, so it has to get the win.

In Ginza Mitsukoshi news, the Sadaharu Aoki counter now has four of their cakes. Not sure whether this was true Saturday, but I saw it Sunday, so I'll note it now.

No comments:

Post a Comment