Wednesday, July 8, 2020

Pierre Hermé, Elena

Tuesday, I worked relatively late but got to Isetan in time. I still owed Pierre Hermé a new cake, so I chose the Elena without knowing anything about it but that it was different and had pistachios. Actually, it's based on a traditional Italian cake of ricotta cheese with a fruit juice soaked sponge, cassata, which sounds less exciting. Of course, I wanted a great cake, but rarely get it. I was hoping for excellent while I ate it and thought maybe it would be justified, but in the end I'm satisfied having had a good cake and learning something new about sweets. I still remain too far ahead on this shop and it's dangerously low as far as ranking, so it could be under threat again soon, but it will probably hang on for a while as one the superb Tokyo cake shops. It's still got at least one more cake-off coming this year, even if one of the couple great tarts I'm looking for from them doesn't reappear soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment