Friday, February 28, 2020

Okashiya Utchii, Choux Cream

The Monday morning began with a snack from a new boulangerie in a new hotel next to a new park. Actually, it's a tiny space in a corner (with it's own door), that share a staff person with the hotel cafe, but I imagine they do good business across form the new National Stadium. I've seen groups of runners and groups of cyclist meeting up in front of there. I went with the reliable Pain au Chocolat again. This one features an uneven outer surface, which allows for powdered sugar, and a hotel breakfast style of softness to the interior, but it wasn't under-baked and it worked, so I'll say it was excellent. Not a big variety, they all beautiful looking. This place goes by the name The Grove Bakery.

Got to Au Bon View Temps between 10:30 and 11:00, as planned, well enough after they opened for everything to be be out and got my cake. Unfortunately, it didn't travel well, so I'm not sure whether I'll tweet it and I didn't eat it first, so I'll move on. The reason I didn't go earlier is because coming back I got off the tain at Kitasandou Station and went to Okashiotchii for the first time, a kind of patisserie in Sendagaya that is relatively new and I haven't visited, so it's a priority in terms of the neighborhood running course. They didn't actually have many items for sale, which I expected (not sure what they do; maybe ordered items). The closest thing to an individual cake was the Chuu Cream, so I got that. It comes with an explanation (of why it's so expensive) of how it uses top-class organic eggs. Certainly it was different, but I don't have a deep knowledge of custard, so the difference was mostly wasted on me, I think. It was still good, but not enough to take me back (not that there was much else for me to choose).

My next run was on the Minami-Motomachi--Samon-chou--Suga-chou--Shinanomachi--Wakaba--Yotsuya loop, where I failed (I was successful the next day) because of a new path that I was not sure where it started (I choose a dead end one the first time), but I still did the full route, to fill in some pictures of new sites. Early on, I decided to give Doutor Coffee a chance that they had something worth getting, and choose their packaged Baumkuchen, which I imagined was pretty hard to mess up and was right: it managed to be good.









No comments:

Post a Comment