Tuesday, October 4, 2016

Frédéric Cassel, Mille-feuille Finger Yuzu

Went to Ginza and had the opposite problem as yesterday: I was slow. Not that this is a huge problem, but I was closer to 7 km/h than 8 km/m the first kilometer, and then again the second. I assume when I was running along the moat course that I was faster, though I lumped it together with the first part going, because coming back with cake, going slightly uphill for 2.2 km was the stretch that I was fastest. Anyway, 7.4 km at the slower speed and 2.2 km for the faster speed today. I'm actually only at 97% of my peak up to a week ago (I allow up to 110%), although that's partially because I just changed the weighting, so there is less difference between 8 km/h and slower speeds than previously. Nevertheless, I plan to take a rest tomorrow and then do some more Meiji Gaien course training running, maybe trying and couple hundred meters at 10 km/h to see whether I can still do that without breaking something.

I went to Frédéric Cassel for the Halloween tart, which was foolish, because specials often aren't available Mondays and Tuesdays, but they had three unfamiliar cakes (or two cakes and some weird thing), so no problem and I can go again next week. I got the Mille-feuille Finger Yuzu this time, which doesn't have side pastry like their other Mille-feuille Finger cakes and I'm really doubting that there were 1000 leaves of pastry in the bottom. Still, it was excellent, very lemony and chocolate rich, since the layers seemed to be solid white chocolate with some yuzu something drawn on it, whipped cream, white chocolate, buttercream, and mille-feuille pastry. These night shoots aren't very flattering to the cake.


On the homemade front, I finished fancy cake recipe number 6, the gateau fraise, although I cheated and didn't refrigerate before eating (it was late and I wasn't that patient) to get the whipped cream to set. This was to demonstrate a biscuit with marzipan 2:3 with flour. It was good. I'll probably make it again in strawberry season, though it didn't bubble up much. Maybe I was supposed to whip it up more after adding the flour, or maybe I can add extra egg yoke to make up for the missing emulsifier, which I can't find at cake supply shops, thought I've asked, bring my recipe with me. Or I'll add a little baking soda/powder. Note that I do not have a "mum" nozzle for my pastry bag, so everything is spooned on.


Also, I made canele, which means I wanted egg whites for macaron shells, which I want for strawberry chocolate ganache I've already made. It's all very complicated. And I haven't found out what I need for fancy cake recipe 7 yet, whatever that is.


No comments:

Post a Comment